Welcome to Hung-Hao Chang’s Homepage (張 宏 浩)
2015 ~ present Commissioner, Taiwan Fair Trade Commission (on leave) (公平交易委員會委員，借調)
2014 ~ present Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics, University （台灣大學農業經濟系教授）
Tel: +886-2-33662656（台大農經系） +886-2-23517588 ext 121 (公平會)
2001 ~ 2006 Ph.D., Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University, USA (美國康乃爾大學應用經濟與管理學博士)
1996 ~ 1998 Master, Agricultural Economics, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (台灣大學農業經濟所碩士)
1992 ~ 1996 Bachelor, Agricultural Economics, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (台灣大學農業經濟系學士)
2017/07 ~ present Editor, Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Official Journal Published by the Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association (NAREA), USA (期刊主編，美東農業與資源經濟學會）
2017/06 ~ present Associate Editor, Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Emerald Publishing, USA (期刊副主編).
2017 ~ present Associate Editor, Fair Trade Quarterly, Taiwan Fair Trade Commission (TFTC) (期刊副總編輯，公平交易季刊)
2016 ~ present Research Fellow, Ecological Engineering Center, College of Bioresources and Agriculture, National Taiwan University（特約研究員，生態工程研究中心，台灣大學生農學院）
2015 ~ present Associate Editor, Agricultural Economics, Official Journal Published by the International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE) (期刊副主編，國際農業經濟學會)
2014 ~ 2017/06 Editorial Board, Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Official Journal Published by the Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association (NAREA), USA (期刊編輯委員，美東農業與資源經濟學會）
2014 Guest Editor, Special Issue of Agricultural Survey Data Analysis, Survey Research - Method and ApplicationJournal (特刊主編，農業調查資料特刊，調查研究-方法與應用，中央研究院)
2014 ~ 2015 Chairman, International Cooperation Committee, Rural Economic Society of Taiwan(國際交流召集人，台灣農村經濟學會)
2013 ~ present Editorial Board, Transactions onEconomic Research, Scientific Online Publishing (期刊編輯委員)
2013 ~ present Editorial Board, Advances in Economics, The Edinwilsen Press (期刊編輯委員)
2013 ~ 2015 Editorial Board, Survey Research - Method and Application, official journal published by Academia Sinica, Taiwan (期刊編輯委員，調查研究-方法與應用，中央研究院)
2013 ~ 2015 Editorial Board, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, official journal published by the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA)(期刊編輯委員，美國農業與應用經濟學會)
2013 ~ 2013 Evaluation Committee, Taiwanese Social Science Index Economic Journal, National Science Council (臺灣TSSCI經濟類期刊審查委員會，國科會)
2012 ~ 2014 Editorial Board, TaiwaneseAgricultural Economic Journal, official journal published by the Rural Economic Society of Taiwan(期刊編輯委員，農業經濟叢刊，台灣農村經濟學會)
2012 ~ 2014 Topic Leader, Agricultural & Applied Economics Association Annual Meeting (AAEA) (小組召集人，美國農業經濟年會)
2011 ~ 2017 Editorial Board, American Journal of Economics. Scientific & Academic Publishing (期刊編輯委員)
2011 ~ 2012 Visiting Scholar, University of California at Berkeley (交流訪問學者，美國加州大學柏克萊分校)
2011 ~ 2015 Associate Editor, Journal of the Agricultural Association of Taiwan (學術組組長兼期刊副主編，台灣農學會報)
2010 ~ 2014 Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics, University（副教授，台灣大學農業經濟系）
2006 ~ 2010 Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics, University（助理教授，台灣大學農業經濟系）
2010 ~ 2015 Group Leader, Ecological Engineering Center, College of Bioresources and Agriculture, National Taiwan University（組長，生態工程研究中心，台灣大學生農學院）
2008 ~ 2010 Vice Secretary General, Rural Economics Society of Taiwan（副秘書長，台灣農村經濟學會）
2002 ~ 2005 Graduate Research Consultant, International Water Management Institute (IWMI),Colombo, Sri Lanka （研究計畫兼聘人員，國際水資源中心）
2005 ~ 2006 Teaching Assistant, Department of Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University （教學助理，美國康乃爾大學）
2002 ~ 2005 Research Assistant, Department of Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University （研究助理，美國康乃爾大學）
2017 Outstanding Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學傑出期刊論文獎勵)
2016 Outstanding Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學傑出期刊論文獎勵)
2015 Outstanding Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學傑出期刊論文獎勵)
2014 Outstanding Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學傑出期刊論文獎勵)
2013 Outstanding Researcher Award, Taiwanese Agricultural Extension Association (台灣農業推廣學會研究論文獎)
2013 Outstanding Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學傑出期刊論文獎勵)
2012 Outstanding Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學傑出期刊論文獎勵)
2012 Excellent Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學優秀期刊論文獎勵)
2011 Visiting Scholar Fellowship, Taiwan Top Universities Alliance, Ministry of Education, Taiwan (頂尖大學策略聯盟訪問學者計畫)
2011 Outstanding Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學傑出期刊論文獎勵)
2010 Outstanding Research Award for Young Scholars, of and Agriculture, (台灣大學生農學院年輕學者研究獎)
2010 Excellent Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University (台灣大學優秀期刊論文獎勵)
2009 Excellent Journal Article Award, National Taiwan University(台灣大學優秀期刊論文獎勵)
2008 Outstanding Research Award for Young Scholars, of and Agriculture, (台灣大學生農學院年輕學者研究獎)
2007 Outstanding Journal Article, Paddy and Water Environment, International Society of Paddy and Water Environment Engineering (PAWEES) (with Richard N. Boisvert) (最佳年度期刊論文獎)
2006 Outstanding Journal Article, Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economic Association (with Richard N. Boisvert, and David Blandford) (最佳年度期刊論文獎)
Economic Analysis of Antitrust Agricultural & Public Policy Analysis Food Consumption and Health Farm Household Economics Applied Microeconometrics
Selected Publication (*correspondence author)
1. Yan-Zhen Hong, Hung-Hao Chang*, Yong-Wu Dai (2018). "Is deregulation of forest land use rights transactions associated with economic well-being and labor allocation of farm households? Empirical evidence in China." Land Use Policy (accepted).
2. Karin Wu, Hung-Hao Chang*, Lih-Chyun Sun (2018). "Agricultural Disaster Programs and Family Farm Labor Supply in Taiwan." Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies (accepted).
3. I-Chun Chen, Hung-Hao Chang*, Lih-Chyun Sun (2018). "Does the Elderly Farmer Pension Program Affect Off-farm Labor Supply Decisions Made by Younger Adults in Family Farms in Taiwan?" Chapter 17, page 316-336 in Public Policy in Agriculture: Its Impact on Labor Supply and Household Income, edited by Ashok Mishra, DavideViaggi and Sergio GomezyPaloma, published by Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. ISBN 978-1-138-65212-5
4. Hung-Hao Chang (2017). "The Economic Effects of Uber on Taxi Drivers in Taiwan." Journal of Competition Law and Economics 13(3): 475-500 (SSCI).
5. Pei-An Liao, Hung-Hao Chang, Junlin He, KannikaSaeliw (2017). "Diversification of Marketing Strategies Among Small Farms: Empirical Evidence of Family Farms in Taiwan." Agricultural Economics (AGRICECON) 63(11): 493-501 (SCI).
6. Hung-Hao Chang (2017). "Do Administrative Fines Affect Market Concentration? An Empirical Analysis of Taiwan." Taiwan Fair Trade Quarterly 25(4): 133-152 (TSSCI).
7. Hung-Hao Chang*, KannikaSaeliw (2017). "Does Eating Out Make Elderly People Depressed? Empirical Evidence from National Health and Nutrition Survey in Taiwan." Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics 20(2): 63-74 (SSCI, leading article of the issue).
8. Hung-Hao Chang (2017). "Ex-Post Evaluation of Anti-competition and Unfair Competition Fines on Firms - Empirical Evidence from Taiwan." Journal of Competition Law and Economics 13(1): 103-124 (SSCI).
9. Hung-Hao Chang (2017). "Does A Social Welfare Program Affect Farmland Use? Empirical Evidence Using Administrative Data in Taiwan." Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 39(3): 441-457 (SSCI).
10. Hung-Hao Chang, Junlin He*, Kannika Saeliw (2017). "The Role of Off-farm Labor Participation Decision of Farm Couples on Farm Direct Marketing in Taiwan." The Developing Economies 55(1): 3-22 (SCI, leading article of the issue).
11. Hung-Hao Chang*, Chad D. Meryerhoefer (2016). "The Causal Effect of Education on Farm-Related Disability: Evidence from a Compulsory Schooling Reform in Taiwan." American Journal of Agricultural Economics98(5): 1545-1557 (SCI & SSCI).
12. Hung-Hao Chang*, Tzu-Chin Lin (2016). "Does the Minimum Lot Size Program Affect Farmland Values? Empirical Evidence Using Administrative Data and Regression Discontinuity Design in Taiwan." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 98(3): 785-801 (SCI & SSCI).
13. Yi-Ju Su, Hung-Hao Chang* (2016). "The Effects of Government Employment Programs and Self-Migration Decisions on Economic Wellbeing of Aborigines in Taiwan." Taiwanese Journal of Applied Economics 100: 105-148 (TSSCI, in Chinese).
蘇怡如、張宏浩* (2016)，「就業輔導與遷徙行為對原住民生活福利之影響評估」。應用經濟叢刊100: 105-148（TSSCI）.
14. Hung-Hao Chang, Yi-Ju Su (2016). "Economic Fluctuation and Farm Household Labor Supply in Taiwan." Comptroller Monthly Review 723: 32-38 (in Chinese).
15. Pei-An Liao, Hung-Hao Chang*, Jiun-Hao Wang, Lih-Chyun Sun (2016). "What Are the Determinants of Rural-Urban Digital Inequality among Schoolchildren in Taiwan? Insights from Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition." Computers & Education 95: 123-133 (SSCI).
16. Hung-Hao Chang, YunghoWeng* (2015)."Working in the Dark: A Look At the Violence Risk of the Street Prostitution Service." Journal of Social Service Research 41(4): 545-555 (SSCI).
17. Hung-Hao Chang*, Jiun-Hao Wang, Ashok Mishra (2015). "Do Farmers' Old Age Pension Programs Affect Farm Production? Empirical Evidence of Dairy Farms in Taiwan." Agricultural Economics (AGRICECON) 61(11): 533-541 (SCI).
18. Hung-Hao Chang*, Pei-An Liao (2015). "Are Immigrant Wives Happy in Taiwan? A Look at the Role of Bargaining Power within the Married Couples." Journal of Happiness Studies 16(2): 295-312 (SSCI).
19. Pei-An Liao, Hung-Hao Chang, Jiun-Hao Wang*, Min-Chen Wu (2015). "Change in Weight Status and Academic Performance among Senior High School Students in Taiwan." Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 24(1): 110-117 (SCI).
20. I-Chun Chen, Hung-Hao Chang, Jerome Geaun* (2015). "How Does the Older Farmer Pension Payments Affect Household Income? Empirical Evidence of Taiwanese Farm Household." Journal of Agricultural Association of Taiwan 16(1): 67-83 (in Chinese).
21. Hung-Hao Chang*, David Zilberman (2014). "On the Political Economy of Allocation of Agricultural Disaster Relief Payments - Application to Taiwan." European Review of Agricultural Economics 41(4): 657-680 (SCI & SSCI).
22. Yongwu Dai, Hung-Hao Chang*, Weiping Liu (2014). "Do Forest Producers Benefit from the Forest Disaster Insurance Program? Empirical Evidence in Fujian Province of China." Forest Policy and Economics 50: 127-133 (SCI).
23. Tsu-Tan Fu, Hung-Hao Chang (2014). "Editorial Introduction of the Special Issue of Agricultural Survey Data." Survey Research - Method and Application 32: 5-8 (TSSCI).
傅祖壇、張宏浩(2014)，「特刊導讀-農業調查研究特刊」。調查研究-方法與應用32: 5-8 (TSSCI).
24. Tai-Hsiung Hung, Pei-An Liao, Hung-Hao Chang, Jiun-Hao Wang*, Min-Chen Wu (2014). "Examining the Relationship between Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Body Weight Status: Empirical Evidence from a Population-based Survey of Adults in Taiwan." The Scientific World Journal Article ID 463736, pages 1-7. doi:10.1155/2014/463736.
25. Yi-Ju Su, Hung-Hao Chang*, Lih-Chyun Sun (2014). "Impact of the 2008-2009 Economic Recession on Low-Economic Status Group: A Look at Household Income and Consumption of the Aborigines in Taiwan." International Journal of Economic Issues 7(2): 279-294 (Econlit).
26. Jiun-Hao Wang, Cheng-Fu Lu, Yu-Ting Chen, Hung-Hao Chang* (2014). "Incentive Mechanism for Environmental Friendly Agriculture: Empirical Study on Rice Environmental Subsidy." Annual Review of Land Economics 25, 1-37 (in Chinese).
王俊豪，呂振福，陳昱廷，張宏浩* (2014)，「友善環境農業誘因機制之研究－以稻米環境補貼為例」。土地經濟年刊25: 1-37
27. Pei-An Liao, Hung-Hao Chang*, Yi-Ju Su (2014). "Is Tattooing A Risk Factor for Adolescents' Criminal Behavior? Empirical Evidence from an Administrative Dataset of Juvenile Detainees in Taiwan." Risk Analysis 34(12): 2080-2088 (SCI).
28. Hung-Hao Chang*, Rodolfo M. Nayga (2014). Childhood, Fast Food, Obesity, and Happiness. In Michalos AC (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research. Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer, pp 772-775.
29. KannikaSaeliw, Hung-Hao Chang* (2014). "Are Elementary School Children From Foreign Spouse Families Left Behind in Academic Performance? Empirical Evidence from Taiwan." The Empirical Economics Letters 13(4): 449-458 (Econlit).
30. KannikaSaeliw, Li-Chyun Sun, Hung-Hao Chang* (2014). "Spatial Competition in the Bottled Liquefied Petroleum Gas Wholesale Market in Taiwan." Fair Trade Quarterly 22(3): 115-138 (TSSCI).
31. Hung-Hao Chang* (2014). "Food Preparation for the School Lunch Programs and Body Weight of Elementary Schoolchildren in Taiwan." International Food and Agribusiness Management Review 17(1): 21-36 (SCI).
32. Hung-Hao Chang*, Chad D. Meyerhoefer, David R. Just (2014). "How Do Health and Social Insurance Programs Affect the Land and Labor Allocations of Farm Households? Evidence from Taiwan." Journal of Agricultural Economics 65(1): 68-86 (SCI & SSCI).
33. Hung-Hao Chang (2013). "Old Farmer Pension Program and Farm Succession: Evidence from a Population-based Survey of Farm Households in Taiwan." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 95(4): 976-991 (SSCI & SCI).
34. Hung-Hao Chang (2013). "Impact of the Economic Crisis on Income Inequality Among Farm Households." China Agricultural Economic Review 5(3): 412-423 (SSCI & SCI).
35. Hung-Hao Chang (2013). "Functional Food Consumption and Depression among the Elderly -- What Can We Learn from A Longitudinal Survey?" Economic Modelling 33: 187-193 (SSCI).
36. Pei-An Liao, Hung-Hao Chang*, Jiun-Hao Wang, Min-Chen Wu (2013). "Physical Fitness and Academic Performance: Empirical Evidence from the National Administrative Senior High School Student Data in Taiwan." Health Education Research 28: 512-522 (SSCI).
37. Steven. T. Yen, Hung-Hao Chang*, Tsui-Fang Lin (2013). "Out-of-pocket Expenditures on Traditional and Western Medicines in Taiwan." International Journal of Public Health 58(4): 583-592 (SCI).
38. Yen-Tzu Huang, Hung-Hao Chang*(2013). "Is Obesity Associated With Chronic Disease Conditions? Empirical Evidence of Taiwanese Adults Aged 40 and Older in Taiwan." Taiwanese Journal of Applied Economics 93: 119-148 (TSSCI, in Chinese).
August 2012: Lili Jia selected as one of the top three candidates for T.W. Schulz award
IAMO researcher Lili Jia was prestigiously nominated for the T. W. Schultz award for the best oral contribution by a young scholar at this year's IAAE conference in Foz do Iguacu (Brazil). The nomination was granted for the paper ‘How land fragmentation affects off-farm labor supply in China: Evidence from household panel data’ by Lili Jia and Martin Petrick. Jia presented her paper in front of the plenary auditorium of the conference on 23 August 2012, together with the other two nominations.
Congratulations for this success!
Please find the paper by Lili Jia and Martin Petrick here.
April 20, 2012: Nico Heerink, Wageningen, joines IAMO China Center as an external member
Dr Nico Heerink, distinguished scholar in the field of Chinese rural development, has visited IAMO China Center on April 19-20. Dr Heerink, associate professor at the development economics group at Wageningen University and guest professor at Nanjing Agricultural University and Zhejiang University, discussed with IAMO China Center members on research activities and options for future collaboration in research and education. Dr Heerink is now an external member of the IAMO China Center. During his visit he also gave a presentation titled ‘Characteristics and Job Attitudes of China's New Generation of Migrants - Evidence from the Less-Developed Western Region’ and discussed with IAMO staff on the future agenda in Chinese rural development research.
Jan. 27 - Mar. 04, 2012: visit from CCAP at IAMO
Ms. Yan Ma, research assistant at the Center for Chinese Agricultural Policy (CCAP), Chinese Academy of Sciences, is currently paying an academic visit to our institute. She has given a presentation on her ongoing research with the topic Self-employment and the Propensity of Permanent Residence in Urban China: Evidence from Twelve-City Migrant Survey.
Nov 7, 2011: Lili Jia received PhD for study on land fragmentation
Our group member Lili Jia has successfully defended her PhD thesis "Land fragmentation and off-farm labor supply in China" on Nov. 7. Dr. Jia, originally from Inner Mongolia, got her MSc from China Agricultural University and has worked on her PhD under the supervision of Dr. Martin Petrick since 2008, i.e. as one of the first IAMO China group members.
Her thesis theoretically and empirically identifies the effect of land fragmentation on off-farm labor supply. Drawing on data from three Chinese provinces, Zhejiang, Hubei, and Yunnan, the study finds that land consolidation can increase agricultural labor productivity but it fails to affect off-farm labor supply significantly.
Currently Dr. Jia is working on a cow hotel project in cooperation with CCAP colleagues.
Here is part of her work as contributed to the GEWISOLA conference 2011.
Oct-Dec, 2011: Guest researcher from Tsinghua University at IAMO
Dr. Boqiong Yang, researcher at the Department of Environmental Science & Engineering of Tsinghua University, Beijing came on October 22 for a two-months research stay at IAMO. Together with IAMO colleagues she works on a publication on foreign direct investment in China and its effects on the environment.
Oct. 16-20, 2011: Guests from Sichuan Agricultural University involved in new cooperative research plans
Invited by Dr. Daniel Müller and Dr. Zhanli Sun, two guests from Sichuan Agricultur University, Prof. Dr. Yuansheng JIANG and Dr. Ge HE, have visited IAMO from Oct. 16-20. Their visits were mainly funded by Robert Bosch Foundation under the “Science Bridge: Asia” program. Besides of detailed discussions with IAMO colleagues on a potential collaboration project on rural energy, Prof. Jiang also gave a presentation on biogas development in Sichuan province, and Dr. He gave a talk about carbon emissions.
Sep 4-10, 2011: Short term visit from CCAP at IAMO
Mr. Linke Hou, PhD student at CCAP, Beijing came to IAMO for a short time research visit after attending the EAAE congress in Zurich. Aside from discussing further cooperation with IAMO colleagues Mr. Hou gave a presentation on present research dealing with genetically modified crops: Hedonic price and yield effects of the GM trait: The case of Papaya in China presentation
August 18-22, 2011: SinoGerman Workshop 'Food Security in China and International Agricultural Trade' organized by IRG members
IRG group members Xiaohua Yu and Bernhard Bruemmer (both Göttingen University) have organized this workshop held in Goettingen on August 18-23, 2011. Researchers from China and Germany including several members of our group presented their research and discussed a wide area of issues relevant in the topical context. program
Mr Yanjie Zhang wins 2010 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad
Our group member Yanjie Zhang has been awarded the prestigious 2010 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad by the China Scholarship Council.
The China Scholarship Council is the Chinese Ministry of Education’s non-profit organization that provides student financial aid to Chinese citizens and foreigners to study abroad or in China. Founded in 2003, this award is based on academic merit with the purpose of rewarding the academic excellence of Chinese students overseas who are not funded by the Chinese Government. Only students with outstanding academic performance are considered by the award selection panel. The award further encourages students to return to China for work or to serve the country in other channels after receiving their degree abroad. In 2010, a total of 506 awards were given worldwide, with 36 Chinese students in Germany receiving awards.
Mr. Zhang works on his PhD at Goettingen University and IAMO. Congratulations to Yanjie for his outstanding achievements. picture
Dr Boqiong Yang - guest researcher at IAMO
Dr. Boqiong Yang, researcher at the Department of Environmental Science & Engineering of Tsinghua University, Beijing arrived at IAMO on October 22 for a two-months research visit. She works in collaboration with IAMO researchers on the effects of foreign investments in China on environmental quality.