Are you bewildered by the speech assignment you’ve recently received? Don’t worry, even if you have no idea about what to write in your speech, we can help you find your motivation and a perfect topic. Check out this sample inspirational speech about setting your goals in life and dreaming big.
We hope this example of short speech will not only serve as a template for your writing assignment or an inspiration for your speech, but that it will provoke questions and maybe make you reconsider some of your values. The main goal of this speech is to give you perspective on the other way of thinking and seeing the world, and inspire you to find your own values to live by.
Why Dreaming Big Is Not Always Good
I have an important question for you, and I bet you have dedicated your fair share of thought to it throughout the course of your lives – which way of thinking is better, dreaming big or being satisfied with small things? Since I held the first belief my whole life, I believe I am qualified enough to talk about why it can be even more harmful than being unambitious.
My whole life I thought I was gonna be huge. Not just your typical A-student type huge, but world-famous huge. I probably had some predisposition to think so, because I was a fairly talented kid and did really well at school, constantly scoring at the top of the class.
Over time, however, my motivation turned into something unhealthy. I started to believe that I was entitled to success, and I grew more and more frustrated as I faced the real world. Well, the truth is I didn’t face it a lot until going to university and leaving my hometown, where I had lived in a safe bubble believing that success in the big city is waiting for me to come.
The first ominous sign came when I didn’t get a perfect score at the entrance exams. I still scored really well – 195 out of 200, and got into the university, but I wasn’t the first one anymore. Which seems pretty logical now – there were thousands and thousands of kids applying to the same university – but back then I felt that I was missing something. I couldn’t enjoy my triumph because I didn’t get that perfect score.
The pitfall, however, came almost three years later when I first got a B on a history exam, a subject I absolutely hated. Then I started to feel like a failure. Now you are probably wondering, “What does it have to do with dreaming big?” Here’s my answer: I always dreamed big, and this made me overlook tiny successes and feel entitled for admiration and victory.
I believe you can guess what happened next. I grew more and more frustrated, as I realized you had to work, and most often, work hard, to achieve what you wanted. You even had to withstand failure and rejection – something I wasn’t used to dealing with at all. The only opinion I had about failures is that they diminished my previous accomplishments and my value as a person, and that successful people never fail and never have to deal with the pain of rejection.
Dreaming big is good, as it helps a person set far-reaching goals and do bold things. But it can only work if a person has healthy relationships with failure, tryouts and taking tiny steps. The success that seemingly comes overnight takes years to achieve, but no one wants to mention those years – they are a boring time of exhausting, plain and continuous hard work. Sounds bad enough for a movie, right?
Don’t teach anyone just to dream big – teach them to dream big while taking small steps. This is always better than staying in one place and wishing to be teleported to the valley of success.
Speech Writing Tips and Outline Examples
Once in a while every student is asked to write a speech and perform in front of the audience. It can become a stressful task, as requires lots of time, attention to details and analysis of the target audience. That is why if you want to know how to write a good speech you should first understand what type of assignment it is.
It is a task, which aims to show your thoughts on the topic at a public event, gathering or in front of the class during debates. You not only need to master the subject but also to engage the audience, providing interesting information and using vivid examples. That is why learning about the main guidelines and having access to a speech outline example will greatly help you to perform in the best possible way.
If you want to learn how to write a speech, you will definitely need some tips and advices. Here is a list of things you need to consider to make your performance remarkable:
- Always think of your audience. Of course, it is important to keep your performance passionate and enthusiastic but it is even more important to be sure that the audience shares your ideas. Make sure your performance grabs their attention and interest. If you talk about the history of ballet in front of a soccer team, don’t expect that everyone will listen attentively;
- Pay attention to famous speakers. You might need some help of additional materials to concentrate on the things that help prominent speakers stand out from the rest. Use all the devices to make sure your information is conveyed clearly;
- Use quotes and visual materials. It is always important to dilute the speech with various examples, quotes of famous people and various visual elements, even if your topic is serious and academic;
- Start and finish your paper with something that will hold attention. Very often, we see how people get lost in boring speeches and start surfing the web or texting with their friends. If you don’t want to let it happen, grab attention of the audience with catchy phrases, bright examples or interesting details.
Order an Exclusive Paper of Top Standard
100% Originality Assured. Only Qualified Specialists
Hopefully, these speech writing tips will contribute to your success and you will get a chance to enjoy performing in front of the audience. However, if you don’t want to waste time or don’t know how to complete your presentation perfectly, you can always contact professionals and ask for academic writing help.
Paper Presentation Template
Presentation Paper Example
Sample Speech Outline
Speech Essay Example
Speech Writing Template
Presentation Tips and Examples
Writing a presentation is quite a similar task. However, it requires involvement of additional materials and slides, while your paper can be successful even without special visual effects. Most of the students don’t know how to write a presentation, as they don’t have such a subject at school. That is why they need to learn everything on their own, which often results in additional complications.
Apart from completing the paper itself, creating strong arguments and tailoring all the information according to your needs, you also need to think of the fonts and colors, quantity of slides and lots of additional details. That is why many students are looking for presentation assistance or at least access to a presentation outline example to make sure they are going in a right direction.
Below is a list of the most common presentation tips, which may help you complete the task without any efforts:
- Highlight only one major point. If you want to convey your thoughts to the audience, make them think on the subject and leave with a pleasant impression, try to concentrate on a certain subject. Don’t confuse the audience with too much information, as they will most likely lose track of the paper. Find out how much time you have and reread your assignment over and over again to make sure you’ve considered all the main issues of the topic;
- Not more than one slide every two minutes. Statistic shows that it is difficult to keep track of all the information if it rushes too quickly. Limit yourself in the quantity of slides you use and you’ll be able to avoid boredom of the audience;
- Download a presentation example and mark the key points you can use during your performance. Pay attention to every slightest detail, as it may greatly simplify the process and save lots of time and nerves;
- Keep the design simple. If you are using a special software, like Powerpoint, it is very tempting to use all the additional features it has to offer. However, all these options usually distract the audience and it is difficult to grab their attention again;
- Enjoy the process! This tip may sound a bit weird but there is nothing more appealing that a speaker, who enjoys the performance and knows how to feel relaxed in front of the audience!
There is nothing difficult in completing a speech or presentation if you pay enough time to collection of data, analyzing your audience and providing catchy visual elements to engage every listener. Make sure you follow all of the tips above and they will surely guaranty your success.