Generic Cover Letter
Sample generic cover letter. It is always advisable to personalize your general cover letter for the target job opportunity. However, there are situations when it is appropriate to use a generic cover letter. These are usually instances where you are not submitting your resume in response to a job posting or to a specific employer.
You can use a general cover letter when you go to a job fair and you are giving your resume and cover letter to a number of potential employers for different jobs.
You can also make use of the generic cover letter when you upload your resume and cover letter to a general job board or submit your resume to an employment agency to help you find a job.
If you are responding to a newspaper advertisement, online job posting or networking with a specific potential employer it is important to customize your cover letter to each employer and each job opportunity to show how you fit the job and company requirements.
Generic greeting to use for your cover letter
When you have to use a generic greeting there a number of suitable options.
Dear Sir or Madam
To Whom it May Concern
Some people use the salutation Dear Hiring Manager. This can be an issue if the person who reads the letter does not have that title.
In a generic cover letter the first section of your cover letter should include all the information on how the employer can contact you.
The body of your generic cover letter should include:
- the special skills and knowledge you have that result in successful job performance
- the education and qualifications that have prepared you to successfully carry out work-related tasks
- the strengths you have that make you an asset to any employer
- your work-related achievements
Example of a generic cover letter
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Email Address
Dear Sir or Madam
I am a hard-working and determined professional seeking an opportunity to succeed in a dynamic company such as yours. I am confident that my knowledge, ability and experience allow me to deliver successful results for any company in a range of administrative positions
Please allow me to highlight my key skills:
- able to effectively manage my time through careful planning and organization of work activities
- an aptitude for identifying and resolving problems efficiently
- excellent communication skills that result in positive interpersonal relationships
- a track record of meeting deadlines and producing accurate work of a high standard
- proven ability to make sound decisions based on valid information
- the capacity to learn and and apply new information quickly and accurately
- strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office
I am convinced that I can be an asset in any position requiring hard work, enthusiasm and reliability and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
The enclosed resume expands on my qualifications and experience.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
When writing a generic cover letter it is best to focus on transferable skills and core competencies that ensure success in a range of jobs and companies.
12 Core Competencies
List of Strengths
What are your Strengths?
You can use phrases like these to describe generic skills and competencies in your general cover letter.
Motivation - I am an enthusiastic and self-directed worker looking to join a reputable company who would benefit from an employee who is ready to give his/her all to succeed
Problem solving - able to collect and analyze information to find workable solutions to problems
Planning and Organizing - My focus on efficiently planning and organizing my work has proven successful in prioritizing and handling multiple tasks
Communication - Proven ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of people
Teamwork - I enjoy working as part of a team and positively contributing to group achievementReliability - I approach all my work with focus and commitment to complete the task on time and to standardStress Tolerance - I am accustomed to a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure
Use these Sample Cover Letters for different jobs. Adapt the cover letter that suits your needs.
Basic Generic Cover Letter
Cover Letters for Employment
Email Cover Letter
Letter of Intent for Employment
Cover Letter Formats
Cover Letter Template
The Right Resume Keywords
Winning Resume Resources
Sample Job Descriptions
Free Sample Resumes
Job Skills List
Job Interviews > Cover Letters > Generic Cover Letter
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.
To Top of Page
General Worker Cover Letter
General Workers are found on construction sites helping qualified workers. There is no educational requirement for this position and on-the-job training is usually provided. Specific work activities for a General Worker are preparing job sites, building temporary structures, loading and unloading materials, operating equipment, cleaning debris, reading blueprints, directing traffic at building sites, assisting with demolishing of buildings, planning earth, mixing and applying materials, and completing other tasks as assigned by managers.
The ideal candidate for a General Worker position should mention the following skills and abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Good practical skills and dexterity
- Physical fitness and stamina
- Effective communication
- Attention to details
- The ability to operate construction equipment
- Being able to follow instructions
- Time management and focus on quality
Those interested in a General Worker career can check relevant skills and qualifications in the example cover letter displayed just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive General Worker Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Webster:
When I learned of your need for a new General Worker, I hurried to send along the attached resume for your review. As an experienced and reliable professional with 12 years of experience performing a range of operational and maintenance duties for Roosevelt Middle School, I am prepared to exceed your expectations in this role.
As a mission-oriented, industrious, and motivational worker, I am highly skilled in significantly contributing to all facet of building custodianship and operations, including cleaning, maintenance/repair, cafeteria support, and grounds keeping. My superior interpersonal skills—combined with my ability to move rapidly and efficiently to complete tasks on or ahead of schedule—prepares me to make a strong contribution to your team.
Please consider the following highlights of my experience:
- Managed a variety of operational and maintenance responsibilities for Roosevelt Middle School—such as inventory control, kitchen prep and cleaning, landscaping, and minor repairs—while earning a deserved reputation for my solid work ethic and my continual focus on the bigger picture.
- Hand-selected to assume the position of General Worker/Team Leader at Roosevelt following initial six-year position as a maintenance crewmember.
- Worked closely with staff and peers to ensure all facilities complied with regulations and professional standards.
- Recognized as a versatile worker, offering advice and skills that were highly respected and requested by coworkers and management.
- Excelling within physically demanding environments while ensuring accurate completion of necessary tasks.
With my proven experience providing superior facility management, I am ready to deliver outstanding service for your organization as your next General Worker. I look forward to discussing this opportunity with you further.
Thank you very much for your consideration, and I hope to hear from you soon.
Michael J. Guerrero